- Home Page
- » Public Health
- » Public Health Emergency Preparedness
- » Public Health Threats
- » West Nile Virus
- » Prevention and Control
Prevention and Control
Protecting Outdoor Workers
Protect Your Family - Use Insect Repellent
The easiest and best way to avoid WNV is to prevent mosquito bites.
- Use insect repellent containing DEET on exposed skin AND on clothing when you are outside. (Read and follow product instructions.)
- Avoid going outside at dusk & dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
- Wear long sleeve shirts and long pants when you must be outside during hours of the day that mosquitoes are active.
- Drain standing water around the house (including puddles, gutters, flower pots, tire swings, and garden equipment) to prevent mosquito breeding areas.
- Repair tears in screens on windows and doors.