What is Public Health Emergency Preparedness?
The Public Health Emergency Preparedness Program (PHEP) coordinates emergency response planning and preparedness efforts for the Tulare County Health Department. PHEP plans and executes activities to prepare county residents for public health emergencies; coordinates planning for the receipt and dispensing of Strategic National Stockpile resources; maintains contact names and numbers for crisis response; and distributes and oversees funds to local health partners for disaster planning.
Public health emergencies are events or disasters that threaten the health of communities or groups of people. Some examples are:
- Disease outbreaks, such as SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome);
- Biological terrorist attacks such as an anthrax release;
- Pandemic flu;
- Chemical spills such as chlorine gas;
- Severe weather such as extreme heat; and
- Natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods or wildfires